Friday, November 21, 2003

BUT I TOOK A SHOWER THIS MORNING: I hadn’t heard of Johnny Hart before, but this morning I found out who he was. He’s a cartoonist famous for “B.C.," a widely read comic and one published in the Washington Post. The cartoon below was published on November 10:



I don’t know what the hell the joke is, and it's quite vague too, but it has “SLAM” between the first and second frame, and 6 crescent moons. And there’s that last frame which asks “"Is it just me, or does it stink in here?" Either Johnny Hart is dimwitted or a bigot. After reading the Post’s article on the fuzz that was created by his cartoon, I’d go for the latter.

UPDATE: My commentators explain:
A moon and stars were used in colonial times to designate the sex of the outhouses. Originally the moon was for women and the star was for the men. But the men's outhouse was usually in such disrepair, everyone wanted to use the women's outhouse. ...so, eventually they quit using the stars altogether.
Thanks for the clarification and the cartoon is now downgraded from "bigotted" to "simply not funny." And I blame the Post article for thowing me off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home